Remember: it is very important not to eat or drink after midnight the night before surgery. This includes coffee, juice and water.
On the morning of surgery please report to surgery center/hospital as scheduled.
- Do not remove dressing.
- If you experience bleeding through your dressing, please call the office.
- Avoid all strenuous activities (no heavy lifting, jogging, sports, etc.) until your doctor gives approval.
- Keep the dressing dry.
- Take antibiotic and pain medication as directed.
- Avoid aspirin, aspirin-related products, and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (e.g. Motrin, Advil, and lbuprofen).
- If the dressing comes off:
- Clean site gently with hydrogen peroxide twice a day.
- Apply a light coating of antibiotic ointment (Bacitracin or Polysporin).
- Cover with a Band-Aid.
- You may experience swelling and bruising. To decrease swelling, elevate your head on pillows. You may use an ice pack. Remember to keep your operative site dry.
- Once your sutures are removed:
- Keep dressing on until it comes off on its own.
- Clean once a day with hydrogen peroxide for one week after dressing comes off.
- Use a sunscreen with SPF 15 to prevent scarring and discoloration of your incision.
- It may take 3 -4 months for skin color to minimize.
- Due to the nature of nasal skin, this may require a dermabrasion.