GENERAL PRE- and POST- OPERATION INSTRUCTIONS
Remember: it is very important not to eat or drink after midnight the night prior to your surgery. This includes coffee, juice and water.
- On the morning of surgery please report to surgery center/hospital as scheduled.
- Do not remove dressing.
- If you experience bleeding through your dressing, please call the office.
- Avoid all strenuous activities (no heavy lifting, jogging, sports, etc.) until your doctor gives approval.
- Keep the dressing dry.
- Take antibiotic and pain medication as directed.
- Avoid aspirin, aspirin-related products, and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (e.g. Motrin, Advil, and lbuprofen).
- If the dressing comes off:
- Clean site gently with hydrogen peroxide twice a day.
- Apply a light coating of antibiotic ointment (Bacitracin or Polysporin).
- Cover with a Band-Aid.
- You may experience swelling and bruising. To decrease swelling, elevate your head on pillows. You may use an ice pack. Remember to keep your operative site dry.
- Once your sutures are removed:
- Keep dressing on until it comes off on its own.
- Clean once a day with hydrogen peroxide for one week after dressing comes off.
- Use a sunscreen with SPF 15 to prevent scarring and discoloration of your incision.
- It may take 3 -4 months for skin color to minimize.
- Due to the nature of nasal skin, this may require a dermabrasion.
If you have any additional questions or problems, please call the office. We want to provide excellent services for our patients; for this reason, we ask our patients not to send their medical questions to us through our social media pages. Patients may send questions via our secure, encrypted server on ourpatient portal, or they may call our office for assistance.